Shun Classic Chefs Knife 20cm
The wavy pattern on our blades is called a Damascus look; what gives it that pattern are 16 layers of SUS410 High Carbon Stainless Steel pounded to 3/1000th of an inch and then "clad" on each side of the VG10 core. This combination of materials gives the blade strength, stain resistance, and incredible cutting performance.
The Cutting Edge
Shun's cutting edge is ground to an angle of 16 degrees making them extremely sharp; compare this to the best German knives which are only ground to around 22 degrees. The exotic Japanese steels used in the cutting core of our knives allow them to hold these razor sharp edges without the need for excessive re-sharpening.
VG10 "Super Steel"
VG10 is a new type of stainless steel that has a higher density. This allows the steel to be tempered to a Rockwell hardness of 61, and still have the flexibility and strength to take and keep a perfect edge. VG10's natural tendency is to remain straight and true, so when it is used, the edge of the blade naturally straightens out and stays sharper longer.
This is the traditional Japanese style of knife making where you take an extremely hard carbon steel used for the edge, then clad on each side a protective layer of stainless steel like our Shun Classic line. This is actually the process of how samurai swords are made.
- Knife Type: Chefs Knife. The great all rounder. Performs 90% of the work in the kitchen.
- Handle Construction: Double stainless bolster with rivetless pakkawood handle. Full Tang.
- Edge Definition: 16 degrees, hand ground, double edged.
- Cleaning / Care: High carbon stainless.
- Blade Hardess 61 HRC. VG10 Super Steel core laminated in high quality stainless.
- Dishwasher Safe: Safe, but not recommended. Dulls edges quicker and heightens chances of staining.
- Blade Length: 205mm
- Warranty: Australian distributor lifetime warranty against manufacturing and workmanship defects.
- Country of Origin: Japan.
- Country of Construction: Japan
- Special Notes: The ultimate kitchen work horse. Ask any chef, this is the knife you must have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.